3 Apps are better than 1

Posted by Eric Albertson | Monday, February 25, 2013 | under Mobile HTML5 Apps Web Development | 2 Comments

As the mobile market becomes increasingly diverse, native Apps make less and less business sense. The App market is moving toward a "write once, run anywhere" philosophy. This approach has many benefits, the most obvious of which is that you get 3 Apps for the price of 1.

HTML5 is the most recent incarnation of the HTML language and can boast to have more functionality, more flexibility and more applications than any other development language. 

One of the most useful applications of HTML5 is in the creation of cross-platform Apps. Whereas a native iPhone App is restricted to a finite number of devices, a cross-platform App can be used across all devices.

Html5 Phone

Cross-platform Apps can be created on open source platform, PhoneGap among others but HTML5 is the enabler language that makes it possible. 

The benefits of HTML5 

There are lots of good reasons for using HTML5.   

HTML is familiar and there is no need for you to learn new programming languages to write native Apps, such as Java to write Android Apps, or Objective-C to write iOS Apps.   

Using HTML5 and cross-platform technologies enables you to write your Apps once and deploy them on all major mobile platforms. 

This makes good business sense for those of you who do not want to build the same App three times for Windows Phone, Android and iOS.  And who wants to spend the time and money on different versions of the same App when an initial outlay on HTML5 will meet the needs of all operating systems and devices? You won’t find many people willing to commission 3 Apps instead of 1. 

The developers obviously agree.  A recent survey of more than 4,000 App developers found that 63% are already using HTML5 and a further 33% plan to do so. 96% is an impressive number of existing or planned uptake of HTML5. I would expect the other 4% of developers to start making plans for HTML5 development before too long too. 

Developers also commented on the performance, productivity and the availability of tools and code libraries to further learning and understanding of this rapidly changing development environment. 

Although clients of App developers were not surveyed I would expect many are impressed by the adaptability of HTML5 to function on multiple operating systems instead of being confined to one. In an era of budgetary constraints, the ability to create one cross-platform App instead of multiple Apps must surely win anyone over.



Lena Sjogren

Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2013

Question is: how much of "Html5" is really all about CSS. I think CSS3 gets overshadowed by calling all new web HTML5, when infact the new web is all about CSS3.....!

Matt Clark

Posted on Friday, March 1, 2013

I definitely agree that HTML5 has become the catch all term for the latest technologies such as HTML5, CSS3 and the range of easy to use Javascript libraries such as jQuery. Which is perhaps unfair to CSS3. Certain aspects of HTML5 are very useful though, such as the native video and audio support and the canvas tag which really opens up a lot of options. CSS3 definitely makes a developer's life easier with lots of features which we have been looking forward to for a long time such as rounded corners and animations. Though media queries are perhaps the most interesting since without them responsive web design would be harder. I don't think it's about either HTML5 or CSS3 on its own, but the features both offer.